This course provides an overview of the four-process model of motivational interviewing (MI) based on the book, Motivational Interviewing: Helping People Change (Third edition, 2013). The course prepares practitioners to implement the four-process model in diverse practice settings.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Discuss the effectiveness of MI in diverse practice settings
- Discuss and interpret how to use the four processes of MI in patient consultations about change
- Establish relationships with patients that are characterized by partnership, acceptance, compassion and evocation
- Use OARS (open questions, affirmations, reflective statements and summaries) to identify and explore issues to be addressed in a patient consultation, including the person’s context and preferences
- Provide information and advice in a style consistent with MI
- Elicit and reinforce change talk in a style consistent with MI in patient consultation sessions
- Respond to change talk in a style consistent with MI in patient consultation sessions
- Apply six strategies to respond to sustain talk in a style consistent with MI in patient consultation sessions
- Apply four strategies to respond to discord in a style consistent with MI in patient consultation sessions
- Analyze practice experience, identify practice gaps and implement changes to ensure performance improvement in the four processes of MI
Participants must have,
- prior experience in counselling and clinical communication skills or possess equivalent client care experience in order to participate (the program will not teach basic counselling and therapy skills).
- access to an appropriate work setting in which it is possible to use motivational interviewing strategies with patients virtually or face to face
Certification and Accreditation
Information will be provided when new course dates are announced.
Online (self-directed with virtual office hours)
This course requires you to use an internet browser, but the system does not support Microsoft Internet Explorer. Instead, use one of the following:
- Apple Safari
- Google Chrome
- Microsoft Edge
- Mozilla Firefox
For more details, please read the browser and compatibility support page.
Continuing Professional Development Mailing List
Subscribe to our education mailing list for future course updates.