Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Navigate Up

Work Permits and Immigration

If you are an international post-doctoral fellow, you must obtain a work permit prior to arriving in Canada to work. Otherwise, you will not be able to work in Canada at CAMH. Please do not arrive in Canada with a visitor visa.

Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) now requires that employers submit a formal Offer of Employment directly to CIC, using the web-based Employer Portal.

The Research Services Office is the sole authorized issuer of written engagement/offer letters for post-doctoral fellows/trainees, and handles all related CIC submissions. You may not apply for a work permit until both the Offer of Employment and Employer Compliance Fee have been submitted by the Research Services Office. 

Once you have received notification from the Research Services Office of your Offer of Employment ID Number, you may apply for your work permit.  You must apply for your work permit from your country of origin.

Visit this Government of Canada website to find out more about coming to work in Canada temporarily.  It is your responsibility to obtain the required valid legal documentation for CIC.

Please direct inquiries to not less than 3 months in advance of the proposed fellowship start date. 

CAMH Switchboard 416-535-8501
CAMH General Information Toronto: 416-595-6111 Toll Free: 1-800-463-6273
Connex Ontario Help Lines
Queen St.
1001 Queen St. W
Toronto, ON
M6J 1H4
Russell St.
33 Russell St.
Toronto, ON
M5S 2S1
College St.
250 College St.
Toronto, ON
M5T 1R8
Ten offices across Ontario