Privacy and Confidentiality of Your Personal Health Information
The Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH) recognizes that the personal health information of our patients deserves to be treated with respect and that privacy must be protected. Access to the personal health information is available to those who need to know to provide care. Furthermore, when it comes to collecting, using or disclosing your personal health information, we take measures to ensure the privacy and confidentiality of the information is protected in accordance with the Personal Health Information Protection Act (PHIPA).
CAMH Privacy Notice
Privacy. Your Right. Our Responsibility.
You have the right to know how CAMH may use and share your health information and how you can access it.
Your health information is kept private and secure.
CAMH may collect, use and share your health information for the following reasons:
- to provide you with health care
- to communicate with or consult with other health care providers
- for payment-related purposes (including OHIP, WSIB, private insurance companies and others)
- to plan, manage and administer CAMH programs and services
- for research (with Research Ethics Board approval)
- for teaching
- for statistical and other kinds of reporting obligations
- for fundraising activities
- for other purposes as permitted or required by law.
Your health information is stored in accordance with CAMH’s retention policies and as required by law. Otherwise it is destroyed, erased or made anonymous.
You have the right to:
- see and ask for a copy of your health information
- ask us to make corrections to inaccurate or incomplete health information
- ask us for a list of how we use or share health information
- be told if your information is lost, stolen or shared with someone without authorization
- change your mind if you have previously given us permission to use or share your health information.
To exercise your rights and choices, which are subject to some exceptions, please speak with your doctor or ask at the CAMH Information and Privacy Office.
Shared Electronic Health Information Systems: CAMH contributes health information to Provincial Shared Electronic Health Information Systems. Click here to learn more about shared electronic health information systems and your personal health information.
Questions or complaints about privacy practices at CAMH may be addressed to the CAMH Information and Privacy Office, 416 535-8501 ext. 33314, or email@example.com. You may also make a complaint to the Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario by calling 416 326-3333, or toll-free at 1 800 387-0073, or by visiting their website at: www.ipc.on.ca.