A brief questionnaire such as the free, online Patient Health Questionnaire (PHQ-9) aids diagnosis and assesses severity of the depression. As a screening tool, the PHQ-9 can assist in diagnosis, and also serve as a symptom severity tracker to help assess the effectiveness of the treatment plan.
Patient Health Questionnaire
The PHQ-9 can be used to plan and monitor treatment for depression in primary care.
Screening Out Other Disorders
Use a screening questionnaire such as the free online Mood Disorder Questionnaire to rule out bipolar disorder.
Mood Disorder Questionnaire
The Mood Disorder Questionnaire (MDQ) is a screening tool for bipolar disorder.
- Major depressive disorder in adults: Diagnosis and management (BC Guidelines, 2013)
- Depression in adults: Recognition and management (NICE guideline CG 90, 2009)
- Depression in adults with chronic physical health problems: Recognition and management (NICE guideline CG91, 2009)
- Depression in children and young people: Identification and management (NICE guideline CG28, 2005)
- Management of depression in children and young people with moderate to severe depression: A treatment flowchart based on the NICE guidelines (Cundill Centre, CAMH)