Sean Kidd is a Clinical Psychologist, Senior Scientist, and the Division Chief of Psychology at the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health and an Associate Professor in the University of Toronto Department of Psychiatry.
Areas of Research
The focus of his career has been upon developing and trialing interventions for individuals with severe mental illnesses and youth who have experienced homelessness. He has also worked in the areas of mental health reform and the study of marginalization and community participation amongst diverse individuals experiencing poverty and mental health challenges. Dr. Kidd's intervention research has included the study of models of peer support, cognitive interventions for schizophrenia, complex interventions for homeless youth, and mobile health strategies for psychosis.
- Housing Outreach Project - Collaborative (HOP-C)
- App4Independence (A4i)
- Climate Change and Homelessness: Generating a Response Framework
- 'Community' Reconsidered: Understanding community among people who have been diagnosed with psychosis
- Supporting a Family Member with Schizophrenia: Practical Strategies for Daily Living
- Social Entrepreneurism in Mental Health (SEMH)
Selected Recent Publications:
- Kidd, S.A., Vitopoulos, N., Frederick, T., Leon, S., Wang, W., Mushquash, C., & McKenzie, K. (2020). Trialing the Feasibility of a Critical Time Intervention for Youth Transitioning out of Homelessness. American Journal of Orthopsychiatry, 90, 535-545.
- Kidd, S.A., & Styron, T.H. (2020). A Systematic Review of the Psychology Literature Addressing Hospital Practice. American Psychologist, 75, 316-328.
- Kidd, S.A., Greco, S., & McKenzie, K. (2020). Global climate implications for homelessness: A scoping review. Journal of Urban Health, Sept. 23, 1-9.
- Kidd, S.A., Feldcamp, L., Adler, A., Kaleis, L., Wang, W., Vichnevetski, K., McKenzie, K., & Voineskos, A. (2019). Feasibility and outcomes of a multi-function mobile health approach for the schizophrenia spectrum: App4Independence (A4i). PLoS ONE. 14(7): e0219491.
- Kidd, S.A., Herman, Y., Virdee, G., Bowie, C., Velligan, D., Plagiannakos, C., & Voineskos, A. (2019). A comparison of compensatory and restorative cognitive interventions in early psychosis. Schizophrenia Research: Cognition. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scog.2019.100157
- Kidd, S.A., Gaetz, S., & O'Grady, B. (2017). The 2015 National Canadian Homeless Youth Survey: Mental health and addictions findings. Canadian Journal of Psychiatry, 62, 493-500.
- Kidd, S.A., Madan, A., Rallabandi, S., Cole, D., Muskat, E., Raja, S., Wiljer, D., Aylward, D., & McKenzie, K. (2016). A Multiple Case Study of Mental Health Interventions in Middle Income Countries: Considering the Science of Delivery. PLoS ONE. 11(3): e0152083.
View Dr. Kidd's publications on PubMed.