Oh the holidays and the parties they bring!
On the bright side, getting together over the holidays with friends, family and co-workers gives us all the opportunity to celebrate and catch up.
But it also means many of us may over-indulge on food and drink.
If you’re trying to keep your drinking in check this holiday season, then here are some strategies for success included in CAMH’s Saying When mobile app .
If you’re dealing with an urge to drink, try these strategies:
- Remind yourself your goal is important and that you can get past this urge.
- Simply say “No thanks” if offered a drink beyond your limits.
- Discourage yourself from drinking: “I won’t let the urge throw me off,” “I have coped with worse feelings.”
- Do something else: talk to a friend, take a walk, catch up with homework, chores, etc.
- Have a non-alcoholic drink.
If you’ve decided to partake, try these pacing tips:
- Measure all your drinks.
- Dilute your drinks—this should help you to drink more slowly.
- Sip—don’t gulp.
- Alternate alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages.
- Avoid drinking without having some food.
- Avoid cocktails that contain more than one standard drink.
- Switch to beverages with lower alcohol concentrations, such as light beer or light wine.
Want more education info, innovation and stories? Follow CAMH Education on Twitter: @camhEdu