By Sarah Bonato, Reference/Research Librarian, CAMH Library
Job loss and layoffs can negatively affect mental and physical wellbeing1. Navigating a path forward during the uncertainty of the future can challenging2 but coping strategies may be a worthwhile investment. Although not a solution to the problem, coping strategies may help with managing the unemployment experience and positively influence reemployment3. See below for a selection of sources offering advice on surviving unexpected job loss.
1. Grunberg, L., Moore, S. Y., & Greenberg, E. (2001). Differences in psychological and physical health among layoff survivors: The effect of layoff contact. Journal of Occupational Health Psychology, 6(1), 15.
2. Paulsen, N., Callan, V. J., Grice, T. A., Rooney, D., Gallois, C., Jones, E., ... & Bordia, P. (2005). Job uncertainty and personal control during downsizing: A comparison of survivors and victims. Human relations, 58(4), 463-496.
3. Solove, E., Fisher, G. G., & Kraiger, K. (2015). Coping with job loss and reemployment: A two-wave study. Journal of business and psychology, 30(3), 529-541.
How to Silence Your Inner Critic After a Layoff
From Harvard Business Review
- Discusses strategies for building your resilience, remaining in a productive frame of mind, and focusing on your strengths to stop the negative cycle of self-blame.
Access at https://hbr.org/2018/07/how-to-silence-your-inner-critic-after-a-layoff
How To Cope With Redundancy: From Mental Health To Managing Money
From the Huffington Post
- Advice on how to talk to your family members about a layoff, tips for budgeting, and the importance of looking after your mental health.
Access at https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/redundancy-mental-health-and-managing-money-how-to-look-after-yourself-after-job-loss_uk_5a5f2089e4b096ecfca8d8d8
How to Cope with Unemployment Uncertainty
From Charity Village
- Offers ten tips for coping with unemployment uncertainty, such as how to take care of yourself, structuring your time, and managing stress.
Access at https://charityvillage.com/cms/content/topic/how_to_cope_with_unemployment_uncertainty#.XAAjLTFRfX4
How to Navigate the Emotional Rollercoaster of Unemployment—and Thrive
- Explains the emotional experiences associated with an unexpected transitions, such as job loss, and provides advice for moving through that transitional period in a healthy way
Access at http://www.heretohelp.bc.ca/visions/workplace-transitions-vol11/how-to-navigate-the-emotional-rollercoaster-of-unemployment-and-thrive
Laid Off Calgary
- An archive of past newsletters with info on many helpful topics, such as the value of keeping a daily routine, transforming self-doubt into confidence, and combatting self isolation.
Access at http://laidoffcalgary.ca/
Want more education info, innovation and stories? Follow CAMH Education on Twitter: @camhEdu