This online introductory course will help learners screen, assess and treat people who use tobacco using evidence-based pharmacotherapies and psycho-social interventions. Tools and techniques for enhancing motivation and facilitating cessation groups are also covered.
- Describe the impact of tobacco use on clients.
- Provide tobacco use assessments.
- Use motivational interviewing with clients who are ambivalent about quitting.
- Develop a quit plan in collaboration with the client.
- Counsel clients by implementing evidence-based strategies for tobacco cessation.
- Discuss pharmacological interventions for tobacco cessation.
- Discuss how harm reduction applies to tobacco use.
- Apply relapse prevention strategies with clients who have changed their tobacco use.
- Describe tobacco industry tactics that promote tobacco use.
- Incorporate tobacco cessation concepts/strategies in your organization.
Certification and Accreditation
- The College of Family Physicians of Canada
- Canadian Addiction Counsellors Certification Federation
- Royal College of Dental Surgeons of Ontario