For Primary Care Practitioners
- Anxiety and Depression Association of America Offers interactive webinars and reviews of best clinical practices in treating specific anxiety disorders.
- Canadian Clinical Practice Guidelines for the Management of Anxiety, Post-Traumatic Stress, and Obsessive-Compulsive Disorders, by M.A. Katzman et al., 2014, BMC Psychiatry, 14.
- Patient Health Questionnaire (PHQ-9) and Generalized Anxiety Disorder questionnaire (GAD-7) Brief depression and anxiety screening questionnaires ideal for primary care settings.
- SwitchRx Online medication switching tool for clinicians.
- Anxiety Canada Includes a “My Anxiety Plan” self-help tool for dealing with symptoms related to specific anxiety disorders and developing healthy living skills.
- MindShift CBT Developed by Anxiety Canada, this app offers CBT-based strategies for coping with anxiety.
- The Anti-Anxiety Workbook: Proven Strategies to Overcome Worry, Phobias, Panic, and Obsessions, by Martin Anthony and Peter Norton, Guilford Press, 2009.
- E-couch Online CBT for social anxiety disorder, gener- alized anxiety disorder and depression.
- Mind Health BC Includes a self-screening questionnaire, which then directs users to online and community resources.
- MoodFx Online self-help for monitoring depression and related difficulties with anxiety, cognition and work performance.
- MoodGym CBT-based self-help tool for learning skills to manage anxiety and depression.
- CBT-I Coach CBT-based app that helps people with insomnia improve their sleep habits.
- Canadian Anxiety Disorders Treatment Guidelines (2014)
- Generalised anxiety disorder and panic disorder in adults: management (NICE guideline CG113 2019)
- Social anxiety disorder: recognition, assessment and treatment (NICE guidelines CG159, 2013)
American Psychiatric Association. (2000). Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (4th ed., text rev.). Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Publishing.
American Psychiatric Association. (2013). Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (5th ed.). Arlington, VA: American Psychiatric Publishing.
Katzman, M.A., Bleau, P., Blier, P., Chokka, P., Kjernisted, K., Van Ameringen, M. Walker, J.R. (2014). Canadian clinical practice guidelines for the management of anxiety, post-traumatic stress, and obsessive-compulsive disorders. BMC Psychiatry, 14 (Suppl. 1), 51.
Stahl, S.M. (2017). Prescriber’s Guide: Stahl’s Essential Psychopharmacology (6th ed.). New York, NY: Cambridge University Press.
Swinson, R.P. & Canadian Anxiety Disorder Guidelines Treatment Initiative Working Group. (2006). Clinical practice guidelines: Management of anxiety disorders. Canadian Journal of Psychiatry, 51 (Suppl. 2), 9S–91S.
About the Authors
Alina R. Brotea, MD, FRCPC, Assistant clinical professor, Department of Psychiatry and BehaviouralNeurosciences, McMaster University, and Anxiety Treatment and Research Clinic, St Joseph’s Healthcare, Hamilton, ON
Richard Swinson, MD, FRCPC Professor emeritus, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioural Neurosciences, McMaster University, and Anxiety Treatment and Research Centre, St Joseph’s Healthcare, Hamilton, ON