The 2023 Conference - May 2023
Keynote Presentation: Drug Policy in Canada and a Novel Fentanyl Powder Sales Program
Speaker: Christy Sutherland
Dr. Christy Sutherland is a family doctor and diplomat of the American Board of Addiction Medicine who works in Vancouver’s Downtown East Side providing care to Canada’s most vulnerable population.
Dr. Sutherland is the Medical Director of the PHS Community Services Society where she leads a team of physicians and nurses who are embedded in low barrier, harm reduction projects. She received her MD at Dalhousie University and completed her Family Medicine Residency at UBC in 2010. Dr. Sutherland was recognized as the 2018 British Columbia Family Physician of the Year, as well as the recipient of a City of Vancouver Award for Excellence in 2019.
Additional sessions include
- Opioid agonist therapy prescribing in Canada: a case of regionalized knowledge sharing? by Kellia Chiu.
- OAT and pregnancy: An update by Alice Ordean.
- Panel discussion: OAT in the time of fentanyl. Moderator Nikki Bozinoff.
- Panel discussion: Responding to increased drug toxicity. Moderator Tianna Costa.
- Panel discussion: The legal environment. Moderator JF Crepault.
- Bridging the gap between hospital and community: Improving care transitions for patients with opioid use disorder by Narges Beyraghi, Janet Hill and Sofiya Hudani.
- Policy and treatment in corrections by Denise Denning and Louisa Marion-Bellemare.
- Older people’s experience in OAT by Lara Nixon.
- The experience of chronic pain patients. Moderator: Sean Patenaude.
- Utility of urine drug testing in the opioid era by Pamela Kaduri and Cristiana Stefan.
- Opioid overdose response: A simulation by Stephanie Sliekers and Tucker Gordon.