Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Navigate Up
Client/Patient Rights Centre for Addiction
and Mental Health

Appendix C: Common legal forms

Challenges & Choices: Finding mental health services in Ontario
Form 1 (Application for Psychiatric Assessment) can be used to bring someone to a psychiatry facility for an assessment that lasts up to 72 hours (three days). To put someone on a Form 1, a doctor must have personally examined the person within the previous seven days and have reason to believe that the person meets certain tests under the Mental Health Act. (See Being admitted to hospital, in Section 13 for more details about these tests.)
Form 1 also ensures that another doctor will examine the person with the mental health problem. During the assessment, other mental health professionals (e.g., nurses, psychologists and social workers) may meet with the person and his or her involved family members, friends or caregivers to get additional information.
Form 2 (Order for Examination) is used under the same conditions as the Form 1 but is issued by a justice of the peace. Typically, the Form 2 is used by a person's family or friends when it is not possible for the person to be examined by a doctor. This form allows the police to bring the person to a hospital for a psychiatric assessment. But the form does not authorize the person to be kept at the hospital. If an assessment in hospital is necessary, the examining doctor must then complete a Form 1.
Form 3 (Certificate of Involuntary Admission) is used to admit the person to the hospital against his or her will. A Form 3 cannot be issued by the same doctor who issued the Form 1. The Form 3 means that the person will have to stay in hospital for up to two weeks. The person has a right to have the Consent and Capacity Board quickly review the form.
Form 4 (Certificate of Renewal) is used when a doctor determines that the person must remain in the hospital involuntarily for another month. This certificate can later be renewed so that the person has to stay for another two months (second renewal) or up to three months (third renewal or more). The certificate can be renewed indefinitely. But each time it is renewed, the person can apply for a review by the Consent and Capacity Board.
Form 5 (Change to Voluntary Status) is used when a doctor determines that the person does not need to be kept involuntarily anymore. This form can be completed at any time to end a Form 3 or a Form 4 before it expires. A patient is automatically considered voluntary once his or her certificate expires and another one is not completed.
Form 14 (Consent to the Disclosure, Transmittal or Examination of a Clinical Record) is used when a patient wants to give another person the permission to see or get a copy of his or her clinical record.
Form 28 (Request to Examine or to Copy Clinical Record) is used by a person who wants to get a copy of his or her own clinical record.
These and other forms can be found on the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care Web site at

Challenges & Choices: Finding Mental Health Services in Ontario

CAMH Switchboard 416-535-8501
CAMH General Information Toronto: 416-595-6111 Toll Free: 1-800-463-6273
Connex Ontario Help Lines
Queen St.
1001 Queen St. W
Toronto, ON
M6J 1H4
Russell St.
33 Russell St.
Toronto, ON
M5S 2S1
College St.
250 College St.
Toronto, ON
M5T 1R8
Ten offices across Ontario