The Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH) is Canada's largest mental health and addiction teaching hospital, as well as one of the world's leading research centres in the area of addiction and mental health. CAMH is fully affiliated with the University of Toronto, and is a Pan American Health Organization/World Health Organization Collaborating Centre. We have central facilities located in Toronto, Ontario and 32 community locations throughout the province
Nursing at CAMH:
- There are approximately 800 Registered Nurses (RNs) and Registered Practical Nurses (RPNs) working in various roles throughout the Centre
- There is a strong focus on diversity, continuous learning, and a holistic view of health. Care is client-centered, working with clients to meet their goals for recovery.
- Many nurses have specialty certification in mental health nursing through the Canadian Nurses Association (www.cna-nurses.ca).
- Nursing also has a very large role in the education of students both at the undergraduate and graduate level, with over 350 nursing students completing their placements at CAMH each year. CAMH also maintains affiliations with many other universities and colleges.
Nursing at CAMH is led by the Chief of Nursing Practice and Professional Services, Dr. Rani Srivastava, and Discipline Chief of Nursing, Ann Pottinger. They support nurse clinicians as well as the nursing leadership team, which is comprised of Advanced Practice Nurses (APNs), Nurse Educators, Acute Care Nurse Practitioners, Managers and Directors. Many of these nurses also have a status appointment at the University of Toronto, Lawrence Bloomberg Faculty of Nursing. Some nurses also have academic affiliations with York and Ryerson Universities.
The office of Nursing Practice and Professional Services serves as a resource to all nurses and provides support and coordination of practice issues through:
- Nursing Practice Council (NPC) – all nurses are members of NPC and are connected via email. As well, each unit has a designated representative and meetings are held bi-monthly.
- Canadian Nurses Association Certification exam education
- Monthly Interprofessional Rounds
- Observational /educational placements
Dr. Rani Srivastava
Chief of Nursing Practice and Professional Services
416 535-8501, Ext. 32006
Manager, Interprofessional Education
416 535-8501, Ext. 32073