Children and youth show their problems in different areas of their lives and in a variety of ways. A child or adolescent who functions well at home may have problems in another setting, such as in the classroom or with peers. Some young people may show signs of anxiety or depression, while others may exhibit aggression, get in trouble with the law or have difficulties with substance use.
As a parent or caregiver, you may feel confused and anxious about meeting the needs of a child or youth with these issues, and about where and how to seek information and treatment. The Child, Youth and Family Program, together with families and other caregivers, helps young people with mental health and/or addiction problems to function better at home, in school and with peers.
Who We Are
Our professional, experienced health care team includes psychiatrists, nurses, psychologists, social workers, child and youth workers, therapists and others. We work with and welcome clients from all backgrounds and cultures. In addition to our clinical services, we are involved in research, education, prevention and health promotion for child and youth mental health and addictions.
The Child, Youth and Family Program is committed to client-centred care, providing intensive and specialized services for young people with mental health and/or addiction problems. We provide:
- comprehensive assessments
- medication consultations
- individual and family therapy
- specialized treatment groups for children and youth who have problems with mental health, substance use and/or other addictions
- day treatment and school programs
- Classroom Assessment and Treatment for Children’s Health (CATCH), for children with disruptive behaviour disorders
- Recovery and Education for Adolescents Choosing Health (REACH), for youth who have addiction problems with or without a concurrent mental health concern
- parenting programs offering information, education and support
- prevention services, including group programs in the community, as well as information and education sessions
- consultation on diagnostic and treatment issues for primary care physicians and other health care professionals.
We offer several outpatient services, each staffed by a team of health care professionals. They are:
We can also refer clients to other CAMH services if needed.
The Child, Family & Youth program is generously supported by the RBC Foundation.