This 1972 photo of the former Queen Street Mental Health Centre (Toronto) depicts the demolition of its 19th-century asylum structures as their modern replacements were constructed.
The 1970s saw the construction of the current treatment units and the demolition of the original Asylum Building.
The Queen Street site post-1956, after the construction of the Administration Building.
The Queen Street site shortly after the end of the Second World War.
A view of the Asylum from the 150-acre Asylum farm to the north and west of the main building, purchased in 1870.
Opened in 1850, the Provincial Asylum in Toronto — now the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH) in successor buildings
on the same site — was the Province of Canada’s largest public, non-military building and the first to be purpose-built as
an asylum. This photo was taken in 1868 by the Notman & Fraser Studio and is provided courtesy of the Toronto Reference Library,