This course provides an overview of the method of MI and goes beyond the definition to examine how and why MI works. It focuses on:
- The efficacy and effectiveness of MI
- The facilitative role of the spirit of the method in attending to client language about change.
- Providing information and advice in a style consistent with MI
- The four processes of MI
- The process of recognizing, evoking and responding to change talk
- Strategies for responding to discord and sustain talk
Health practitioner (all disciplines), social service workers, correctional officers, allied health care and peer support workers
This self-directed course offers 13 hours of learning and a post course community of practice.
- Define and critique the four-process model of MI and its relevance to patient-centered care.
- Establish therapeutic relationships with patients that are characterized by partnership, acceptance, compassion and evocation.
- Use OARS skills (open questions, affirmations, reflective statements and summaries) to identify and explore issues to be addressed in a patient encounter, including the patient’s context and preferences.
- Provide information and advice in a style consistent with MI
- Discuss skills and strategies used in the engaging, focusing, evoking and planning processes.
Participants must have:
- Prior experience in counselling and clinical communication skills or possess equivalent patient care experience in order to participate (the program will not teach basic counselling and therapy skills).
- Direct patient care responsibilities with access to an appropriate work setting in which it is possible to use motivational interviewing strategies with patients virtually or face to face.
Online (self-directed with virtual office hours)
This course requires you to use an internet browser, but the system does not support Microsoft Internet Explorer. Instead, use one of the following:
- Apple Safari
- Google Chrome
- Microsoft Edge
- Mozilla Firefox
For more details, please read the browser and compatibility support page.
Continuing Professional Development Mailing List
Subscribe to our education mailing list for future course updates.