A Guide for Supervisors, Managers and Clinical Staff
Foreword by Benoit Mulsant
Part of the CAMH Healthy Aging Project, Improving Our Response provides the information, tools and guidance that service providers need to work more effectively with older adults who may have substance use, mental health or gambling problems.
This comprehensive resource includes:
- an overview of alcohol use, anxiety, bipolar disorder, depression, schizophrenia, tobacco use and other problems as they appear in older adults
- a selection of screening tools that can be used to help identify problems
- practical guidance on building a relationship, adopting a holistic approach and advocacy for older adults
- an introduction to the recovery, harm reduction and stages of change models as guiding principles of care
- ways to guide and support staff, families and others who care for older adults with these problems
- information on referring to specialized addiction and mental health treatment services
- case studies and practical strategies for complex situations
- information sheets for older adults and their families on substance use, mental health and gambling.
This guide is for professionals who work with older adults, including nurses, social workers, occupational therapists, physiotherapists, educators and management staff in community support services, retirement and long-term care homes. The guide is also a useful resource for mental health and addiction treatment providers.
- ISBN 978-0-88868-677-0 • 188 pages • paperback
- $29.95 • published 2008 • product code PM080
The Older Adults Kit
This kit includes three resources specifically focused on the substance use and mental health needs of older adults. It includes:
- Responding to Older Adults with Substance Use, Mental Health and Gambling Challenges
- Choosing to Change
- Improving Our Response to Older Adults with Substance Use, Mental Health and Gambling Problems
You SAVE over $18 when you purchase these three related products together!
- $36.95 kit • books • product code: PM109