: This page presents two courses: the Opioid Dependence Treatment (ODT) core course and the Opioid Use Disorder Treatment course. The ODT core course is for physicians, pharmacists, counsellors and nurses. The new Opioid Use Disorder Treatment course is only
for pharmacists. Pharmacists should register for only one of the courses. Do not register for both courses
. More informaton is below.Registration for both of these winter courses will open on October 25 at 10:00 am. Please note that we do not keep waiting lists.
This page presents information about course accreditation, registration dates and costs specific to Ontario. For the overall course description, learning objectives, delivery method, target audience and information about the ODT certificate please visit the main page for the ODT core course
Note for physicians
Physicians should confirm with the CPSO that they are eligible for the methadone exemption.
Note for pharmacists
We are pleased to announce that CAMH offers now an online course: Opioid Use Disorder Treatment, which has the same learning objectives as the ODT Core Course. Unlike our core course, this oline version has no face-to face component. Pharmacists who complete this course will be in compliance with the Ontario College of Pharmacists' policy regarding required training.
Pharmacists working on their five-year refresher
cannot take this course and must find alternatives. We recommend the
Ontario Pharmacists Association's Methadone Education program: OPA methadone and buprenorphine online modules. This course may also be of interest to pharmacists waiting to register for the CAMH course. For other refresher courses, please contact the Pharmacy Practice Department at the Ontario College of Pharmacists: firstname.lastname@example.org
About the course content
- In these course, the instructions for methadone prescribing are aligned with the Methadone Maintenance Treatment Program Standards and Clinical Guidelines, published by the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario (CPSO) in 2011.
- Instructions for dispensing methadone are aligned with the Methadone Maintenance Treatment (MMT) and Dispensing Policy of the Ontario College of Pharmacists (OCP).
Accreditation for ODT Core Course
- This Self-Learning program meets the certification criteria of the College of Family Physicians of Canada and has been certified by the University of Toronto's Continuing Professional Development office for up to 10 Mainpro+ credits (8.0 credits for web-based modules; 2.0 credits for the end of course exam);
- This Group Learning program has been certified by the College of Family Physicians of Canada for up to 12 Mainpro+ credits (for the in-class workshop - ID #172300);
- The continuing education event indicated has been designated as a U of T Accredited event and awarded with the following credits: Royal College of Physicians & Surgeons of Canada - 16.5 Section 1 credits; (8.0 Section 1 credits for total of web-based modules; 6.5 Section 1 credits for the in-class workshop; 2.0 Section 1 credits for the end of course exam);
- The Canadian Council on Continuing Educaiton in Pharmacy: 20.5 continuing education units (CEUs) Program # 1167-2016-1654-B-P; Expiry Date: 28/02/2018
- The Canadian Addiction Counsellors Certification Federation: 20 Core CEUs
- Faculty of Medicine, University for Toronto
Please note: These are not included in course fees. You can purchase the CAMH publications at http://store.camh.ca
- For all course participants:
- Making the Choice, Making it Work - Treatment for Opioid Addiction
- The CPSO Methadone Maintenance Treatment Program Standards and Clinical Guidelines 2011. Available: http://www.cpso.on.ca/uploadesFiles/members/MMT-Guidelines.pdf.
- For physicians:
- Methadone Maintenance: A Physician's Guide to Treatment, 2nd Edition, published by CAMH.
- For pharmacists:
- Opioid Agonist Maintenance Treatment: A Pharmacist's Guide to Methadone and Buprenorphine for Opioid Use Disorders, published by CAMH.
- For counsellor and nurses in a case manager role:
- Methadone Maintenance: A Counsellor's Guide to Treatment, published by CAMH.
Please note that we do not keep waiting lists.
Additionally, our registration system uses you individual e-mail address as a personal identifier. In other words, you cannot register with the same e-mail address as another registrant. This will cause an error in the system, where one of the participants ends up unregistered.
If you share an e-mail address with someone who also plans on registering, please discuss this ahead of time. Though we'd like to accept everyone into the courses we offer, many completely fill up. It is not the responsibility of CAMH Education if any participant is unregistered as a result of this error.
- For physicians: $450
- For pharmacists: $450
- For counsellors and nurses: $450
Enrollment withdrawals, refunds and cancellations
Withdrawals from the course are accepted until until the course start date These are subject to an administrative fee of $100.
There will be no refunds after the course start date.
Cancellation notice must be communicated in writing by email.
Cancellation of the course
Should CAMH cancel this course for any reason, the organization is not responsible for lost monies related to accommodations, flights or other incidentals. CAMH will only refund registration fees.