This is a three-day, advanced-level course that provides a practical, hands-on and in-depth skills training in cognitive behaviour therapy (CBT). Teaching methods include lecturettes, skills modeling and role-playing practice. The class also reviews DVDs of expert therapists in action, and critiques those approaches in group discussions. Expert therapists reviewed include:
- Judy Beck, PhD (depression)
- Michelle Craske, PhD (generalized anxiety disorder)
- David Clarke, PhD (panic disorder)
- Marsha Linehan, PhD (suicidality).
Topics covered in this course include:
- dysfunctional reactions to patients
- subtleties of the therapeutic alliance
- overcoming challenges in setting goals
- conceptualizing difficult patients
- challenges in identifying and modifying cognitions
- challenges in homework compliance
- Beck, J.S. (2011). Cognitive Therapy for Challenging Problems: What to do When the Basics Don't Work. New York: Guilford.
- Please read this book before attending the course.
Please note: Class size is limited to 16 people.
This course is for individuals who have complete the CBT introductory and intermediate-level courses. Preference will be given those who completed these courses with CAMH.
Registration for 2016
For more information on the CBT Certificate Program please complete this form:
Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT) Certificate Program-Course Information Form 2016
Enrollment cancellations and refunds
- A $100 handling fee will be deducted upon cancellation
- Refund requests by fax or email must be received two weeks before the course's start date
- Course fees are not transferable
- Cancellation/withdrawal notice must be communicated in writing by email.
Cancellation of courses
CAMH reserves the right to cancel any program due to under-enrollment. CAMH also reserves the right to cancel any course due to work stoppages, instructor illness or inclement weather. If a course is cancelled, CAMH will refund only the course fee.
Satisfactory completion of two courses:
- Summer Training Institute: Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT): Essentials for Depression, Social Anxiety and Panic Disorder (L1)
- Intermediate Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT) Institute: How to Become a Highly-Rated Cognitive Behavior Therapist (L2)
There is also a pre-course reading requirement (noted above).
This course qualifies as part of the Cognitive Behavioural Therapy Certificate Program from the University of Toronto
Frequently asked questions
Details will be posted on this page as soon as they become available.
University of Toronto
Please note the reading requirement
(416) 535-8501 x36732
For additional help/support, please contact email@example.com