Focusing on high-risk, high-reward research, the Fund will advance discovery through a number of priority areas:
• People development: Incubate and activate the next generation of leading early and mid-career scientists
• New ideas: Foster discovery and innovation focused on understanding disease mechanisms, effective diagnosis, testing, and new ways to predict, prevent and recover from mental illness
• Discovery platform: Invest in enhancing the data, data platforms and analytics that will enable 21st century research and translation into clinical practice.
In its first year, the Discovery Fund will support new research through several programs:
• The Talent Development Competition for graduate trainees and postdoctoral fellows will provide up to 11 one-year awards for graduate trainees and up to 14 one-year awards for postdoctoral fellows. Find out more and how to apply for the Discovery Fund Graduate Studentship awards competition and the Discovery Fund Postdoctoral Fellowship awards competition.
• The Seed Funding Competition will provide support for investigators during the critical period between initiation of research and receipt of sustained funding. The competition will support at least seven two-year awards. See competition details and how to apply and evaluation criteria.
• New Clinician Scientist opportunities will enable early and mid-career clinician scientists to explore research ideas that align with the priorities of enhancing clinical research at CAMH and translation into practice. Learn more and how to apply.