The Forensic Early Intervention Service (FEIS) is a result of collaboration between the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services (MCSCS) and the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care (MHLTC).
Our team consists of members of the following professions: social work, occupational therapy, nursing, psychology, and psychiatry.
Any inmate can be referred for an assessment with FEIS. Clients must consent to meet with FEIS, as it is a voluntary service. Once FEIS has conducted an assessment, recommendations about follow-up care will be provided to the MCSCS staff. Not all individuals who receive an assessment will be eligible for ongoing FEIS involvement. Those who do not meet the inclusion criteria will be referred back to mental health services in the (MCSCS) along with consultation recommendations.
FEIS Inclusion Criteria
FEIS will provide ongoing assessment and support to individuals who:
- Are/are at risk of being unfit to stand trial
- May choose to pursue a not criminally responsible defense
For individuals who meet the FEIS inclusion criteria we can:
- Conduct psychiatric assessment and offer treatment recommendations
- Visit and provide ongoing support while client is at the MCSCS Facility
- Support clients in their preparation for court appearances
- Communicate with client’s lawyer & family
- Provide client’s family with resources and support
- Connect with client’s other community supports
- Work with Work with MCSCS staff and partner agencies to facilitate discharge plans
Contact: Tanya Connors, Manager, 416-535-8501 ext. 31915 or 32252
Contact: Yvonne Hinds or Carlos Chavez, Administrative Secretary, 416-535-8501 ext. 31916 or 36022
The Toronto South Detention Centre, 160 Horner Avenue, Toronto, ON
The Vanier Centre for Women, 655 Martin Street, Milton, ON