Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Navigate Up

Child and Youth Work

Child and youth workers (CYW’s) are found primarily in our Child, Youth and Family program. They participate in assessments of children, youth and families, work in day treatment classrooms for youth and children , facilitate evidence based out –patient groups for children and families, offer individual support, and parenting support .  As of July 2012, the discipline has expanded into the in-patient realm with the new Concurrent Disorder Unit for youth.

What child youth work placements are available in your discipline?

All the outpatient programs with Child and Youth Workers offer student placements.  The Concurrent Disorders in-patient unit, is not offering placements at this time.

Am I able to do a block placement?

Yes, we accept students between September and June.

Am I able to do my placement hours in the evenings/weekends because I work?

Evening hours are available for evening groups but only on selected days.

Am I able to split my placement between 2 programs (i.e., Addictions Program and MAUI)?

Yes, we sometimes have our students in two services this is also determined by the supervisors identified. 

What qualifications are required for placement in the child and youth work discipline?

You must be a third year student from one of the community colleges with a Child and Youth Work program.

Is CAMH affiliated with my educational institution?

We currently have affiliation agreements with Humber College, George Brown College, Niagara College and Centennial College.
CYW’s at CAMH value supervision and provide CYW’s as primary supervisors.

I’m not from Canada.  Can I still do a child and youth work placement at CAMH?

If we are able to have an affiliation agreement and able to arrange college supervision, as well as a recognized child and youth work program.

How are placements organized?

Placements are organized by the number of identified supervisors and the needs of the program.

How do I apply for a child and youth work placement at CAMH?

Contact the student educational coordinator for child and youth work.

What mandatory trainings are required prior to placement?

There are no mandatory trainings required.

Do I require any immunizations before coming to CAMH?

All students are required to have TB test and vaccinations up to date.

Will I require a police check?

Yes. A vulnerable person police check is required.

Contact information

Michelle Molligan
Child and Youth Worker
416-535-8501, Ext. 34743


I was able to spend a considerable amount of time in the community with clients; this is great as it allowed me to experience different clinical settings.
CAMH Switchboard 416-535-8501
CAMH General Information Toronto: 416-595-6111 Toll Free: 1-800-463-6273
Connex Ontario Help Lines
Queen St.
1001 Queen St. W
Toronto, ON
M6J 1H4
Russell St.
33 Russell St.
Toronto, ON
M5S 2S1
College St.
250 College St.
Toronto, ON
M5T 1R8
Ten offices across Ontario