The CAMH Constituency Council is a province-wide voluntary advisory council made up of 50-70 stakeholders, tasked with providing advice, insight, and feedback to the organization, its strategic plan and its Board of Trustees. The Council members also transfer knowledge about CAMH services and programs to their local communities and partners. While CAMH and its programs have a range of advisory groups and engagement activities, the Council is unique in its scope and model.
CAMH hosts the Constituency Council and the Board of Trustees twice a year in an all-day interactive forum. These forums focus on issues of importance to CAMH and the mental health system. The meetings allow for direct engagement and co-learning amongst Council Members and Board of Trustees. Content is shared by subject matter experts, with structured opportunities for discussion, input and feedback from members and the Board. The meetings are in person, except when COVID protocols require virtual. (NB for regional members CAMH supports necessary travel for participation).
*Patient and Family members receive and honorarium for meetings.
Council membership is structured by designated stakeholder groups to ensure a breadth of standpoints and perspectives. These membership categories include: Community Mental Health/Addiction Agencies; Client/Patient; Family; Members at Large; Public Health; First Nations, Inuit, Metis; Child/Youth Mental Health; Justice/ Forensic; Academic, and 4 spaces for CAMH staff. Everyone participates; a person’s membership designation does not limit how they participate. Many people will have experience across a number of these categories. We have a breadth of diversity on the council and work to ensure this includes regional/geographic diversity as well as a diversity of equity groups including racialized peoples, LGBTQ people and people with disabilities.
Join us! Now seeking new members
Applications are now open for new members! We have a number of wonderful Council members whose maximum membership term is coming up, so we have some opportunities to welcome new members to our advisory. We are seeking new members in most of the membership groups (described above). To apply please see link below.
Quotes from Council members
- “I learn so much from the different perspectives on the Council, and love the focus on specific topics at each meeting.”
- “Topics were excellent, speakers were excellent and very impactful.”
- “Really great topics at the appropriate level for the length of discussions. Love the ability to talk amongst the table and share ideas.”
- “Always great learnings that I can bring back to my agency and community.”
Requirements and Responsibilities
Requirements for Council Members
- Interest in and knowledge about mental illness and addiction;
- Interest and ability to consider one’s direct experience but also broader mental health/addiction service and system issues;
- Able to respectfully engage with diverse viewpoints;
- Able to participate in twice annual full day interactive meetings (typically in June and November) to engage with members of the Board of Trustees, learn about CAMH initiatives and programs, share information and provide input and feedback;
- Fluency in English;
- Engage in Constituency Council online forums and discussion;
- Commit to a three year term.
- Attend the twice-annual Constituency Council meetings in June and November.
- These meetings are the main vehicle to engage and advise the Board of Trustees, other Council members, learn about CAMH initiatives and programs; provide input, and share your expertise.
- Provide feedback, input and help to monitor the organization’s progress on its Strategic Plan and other initiatives as requested.
- Members are invited to participate in the CEO evaluation annually.
- Demonstrate respectful engagement with other participants/ members who may hold diverse perspectives on issues.
- Actively engage with your geographic and/or demographic communities on mental health and addiction issues and CAMH.
- Read the information and materials shared with the Constituency Council in advance of the Council meetings and throughout the year.
- Share a brief bio and photo with the Council.
- Engage in Constituency Council online forums and discussion.
3-year term with a possibility of renewal.
Go to https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/GJKRKJ6 for the online application. Please submit by 5pm on February 19, 2024. (Please note that Survey Monkey is not compatible with Internet Explorer. We recommend using the following browsers to access the link: Chrome, Firefox, Safari and Microsoft Edge.)
If you have questions or would like more information about this volunteer advisory role, please contact Janet Mawhinney.
NOTE: CAMH reserves the right to terminate a membership if roles and responsibilities are not met, or due to organizational needs.