The Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) covers all your essential medical appointments and treatments. Landed immigrants or holders of a work permit are eligible for OHIP after a three month waiting period.
• International post-doctoral research fellows beginning research/teaching activities for 12 months or more are eligible for OHIP coverage.
• If you have a work visa, your family is not covered by OHIP unless you have a letter from your employer stating that you will be staying for three years.
• OHIP replacement plan: University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) (For the three month waiting period and for families not eligible for OHIP)
Apply for an OHIP card in person at your nearest Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care office. The closest offices to the hospital CAMH are located at:
777 Bay Street, Suite M212
Monday, Tuesday, 8:00a.m. to 7:00p.m.
Wednesday, Friday, 8:00a.m. to 5:00p.m.
Thursday, 8:00a.m. to 8:00p.m.
534 College Street
Monday to Wednesday & Friday 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Thursday 9:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.
Saturday 9:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m
Complete a Registration for Ontario Health Coverage form (get it at the office or download it from the internet), and show three original documents to:
• Prove your immigration status (passport with work permit)
• Prove that you live in Ontario (e.g. valid Ontario Driver's License or Ontario motor vehicle permit; utility bill with your name and address, mortgage, rental or lease agreement)
• Prove your ID (e.g. passport; Canadian Immigration Identification card; Social Insurance Number card; credit card; current employee ID; student ID card; certified Statement of Marriage; valid Ontario Driver's License)