The Office of the Person- in-Charge (OPIC) is responsible for the oversight of all processes related to clients who are the subject of a Disposition of the Ontario Review Board (ORB) or are referred by the court for purposes of assessment and/or treatment.
The Office also support the Person-in-Charge (PIC) in upholding those statutory functions of Part XX.1 of the Criminal Code of Canada which are the provisions governing mentally disordered accused.
The goals of OPIC are to:
1. Support the PIC in meeting statutory obligations under Part XX.1 of the Criminal Code of Canada
2. Provide support to clinical teams related to the administration and legal functions associated with ORB and court processes
3. Coordinate the activities of clinical and OPIC administrative staff to ensure consistency in approaches to forensic issues
4. Ensure compliance with ORB expectations and legislative requirements
5. Provide a structure for efficient decision-making
6. Employ an enhanced and coordinated date collection structure to better inform clinical activities, support resource allocation decisions, and meet reporting requirements to the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care.
All matters pertaining to the admission, assessment, movement, transfer and discharge of ORB patients are coordinated and tracked by the Office of the Person in Charge (OPIC).
Other functions of OPIC include: the scheduling of ORB hearings, ensuring that hospital reports to the ORB are processed in a timely fashion, reviewing privilege requests, and representing CAMH at ORB hearings. OPIC staff members provide ongoing information and support to both internal and external stakeholders. This involves developing contacts at various courts, (mental health workers, duty counsels, transportation staff) liaising with legal counsels, the Office of the Crown Attorney and the staff at the ORB. OPIC also provides education sessions for CAMH staff on relevant legal and administrative issues.
Individuals are admitted to the Forensic Division of the Complex Care and Recovery Program by one of two routes:
1. Referral by Court Order for an Assessment of Fitness to Stand Trial or Criminal Responsibility or Form 6 (under the Mental Health Act) Warrant of Committal pending ORB Hearing
2. A Disposition of the ORB
The service can be accessed by telephone, fax or e-mail.
Manager, Melody Upshaw, (416) 535-8501, ext. 31112, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Fax: (416) 583-4319
Administrative Secretary, Caroline Grossi, (416) 535-8501, ext. 32419; Fax: (416) 583-4319; E-Mail: email@example.com
Michele Warner, Legal Counsel, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: (416) 535-8501, ext. 32880, Fax: (416) 583-4319
Gavin MacKenzie, Legal Counsel, Email: email@example.com Phone: (416) 535-8501, ext. 30545, Fax: (416) 583-4319
Location: 1001 Queen Street West, Unit 3-4th Floor, Toronto, ON M6J 1H4