Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Navigate Up

Social Insurance Number

Once you have a valid work permit, you must apply for a Social Insurance Number. This will allow you to be paid for your work in Canada.

The Social Insurance Number (SIN) is a nine-digit number used for administration by the Canadian government. You require a SIN to work, to open a bank account and to receive government benefits in Canada.

Service Canada ceased issuing plastic SIN cards in 2014. When you successfully apply for a SIN, you will receive a letter confirming your SIN. If you are authorized to work in Canada under a work permit, your SIN will expire at the same time as your work permit.  You must provide a copy of your SIN confirmation letter to the Research Services Office in order to receive payment.

To apply for a Social Insurance Number, the recommended process is to visit a Service Canada office in person. Take your work permit and proof of identity documents.  A copy of your CAMH engagement letter may also be helpful.  More information about the application process and required identity documents is available on the Service Canada website.
There is no fee, and you should receive your confirmation letter during your visit.  The closest Service Canada Office in relation to CAMH is located on the main floor at 559 College Street.

Find the location of other service centres or other forms on the Service Canada website.



CAMH Switchboard 416-535-8501
CAMH General Information Toronto: 416-595-6111 Toll Free: 1-800-463-6273
Connex Ontario Help Lines
Queen St.
1001 Queen St. W
Toronto, ON
M6J 1H4
Russell St.
33 Russell St.
Toronto, ON
M5S 2S1
College St.
250 College St.
Toronto, ON
M5T 1R8
Ten offices across Ontario