Research in these areas is conducted by scientists in CAMH's Social and Epidemiological Research (SER) Department. Using their expertise in diverse fields including epidemiology, sociology, economics and psychology, the research covers the following areas:
- Community-Based Interventions involve developing, identifying and evaluating programs in community settings to prevent and treat mental health and substance use problems.
- Health Equity research is focused on improving services and supports among disadvantaged groups.
- Health Systems research examines the design, delivery, and effectiveness of mental health and addiction treatment systems, services and supports.
- Policy research assesses the effectiveness and imapct of public policy and legislation.
- Population Health scientists examine factors contributing to mental health and addictions and identify the burden of illness.
- CAMH conducts large-scale Population Health Surveys to describe the extent of addiction and mental health indicators in the population and monitor trends.