Telepsychiatry, a modality of care that delivers real-time client care via secure videoconferencing, is an innovative and effective mode of health services delivery that can bridge geographical disparities and improve access to psychiatric care. Consultations typically take place in health care facilities including hospitals, primary care clinics, and community based mental health facilities; and utilize a secured telecommunications connection through the Ontario Telemedicine Network (OTN).
The CAMH Telepsychiatry Service provides consultation and assessment for general psychiatry. Ongoing treatment or therapy is not currently offered through the Telepsychiatry Service. Clients must be notified that the consultation will take place via telepsychiatry (video conference). Our Telepsychiatry Service is NOT a crisis service. Clients who are experiencing a mental health crisis should go to their nearest Emergency Department.
Who can access Telepsychiatry at CAMH?
- Clients must be 18 years of age or older
- Clients looking for an assessment or consultation in general psychiatry
- Clients must be referred by a physician or nurse practitioner with an active license and OHIP billing number
- Clients must be willing to participate via telemedicine (OTN)
- Preferred OTN Site information must be provided in referral
- Clients 17 years of age or younger
- Clients in crisis who require immediate care
- Clients currently being followed by a psychiatrist
- Clients seeking assessment for: legal purposes e.g. psychiatric assessments recommended by legal team representing the patient or prosecution, psychiatric assessments recommended by employer, psychiatric assessments to resolve disputes at work, social issues, counseling
- Clients who refuse to participate via telemedicine
*If clients meet above criteria, a referral must be sent on a CAMH referral form including telepsychiatry referral cover sheet, linked below:
Telepsychiatry Referral Cover Letter
CAMH Referral Form
Phone- 416-535-8501 ext. 34778