Best practice guidelines for mental health promotion programs: Children & Youth
Address opportunities for organizational change, policy development and advocacy by:
- mobilizing parents, teachers, and youth
- being aware of and monitoring upcoming legislation and government initiatives, in order to identify and influence change that
incorporates a mental health promotion approach
- implementing client and/or staff surveys to assess the organizational climate
- working with management, students and staff to create a health promoting school and workplace
- identifying policy initiatives to influence school culture.
- a safe schools policy
- health-promoting schools—policies, education
- advocacy for physical activity in the school
- advocacy for school cafeteria policies (e.g., vending machine policies)
- advocacy for green space and gardens
- giving opportunities to community members, parents, teachers and youth to voice issues and engage in dialogue and problem
- lobbying for legislative change.
Programs that incorporate Guideline 8 are: