Culture Counts: A Guide to Best Practices for Developing Health Promotion Initiatives in Mental Health and Substance Use with
In chapter 4 - Plan the initiative:
- Identify an initiative that will have the greatest impact on the intended audience.
- Use a variety of communication methods to promote your health promotion method.
- Methods that do not rely heavily on text may work best with ethnocultural communities.
- Develop a work plan that includes a timetable, a list of who will do what, resources needed, a system for recording activities
and evaluation plans.
- Involve community members and community resources in the initiative as much as possible.
- Identify the most credible communicators within the community and the communication channels that have the most impact on
the intended audience.
- Products and programs that do not have a heavy reliance on text and reading ability may be more effective modes of delivery
for ethnocultural communities.