Culture Counts: A Guide to Best Practices for Developing Health Promotion Initiatives in Mental Health and Substance Use with
In Chapter 2 - Work with community partners
- Partnering with an organization or agency already working with ethnocultural communities can greatly improve the effectiveness
of both the health promotion initiative itself and the development of it.
- Look for partners who can bring that can bring resources, knowledge, skills and credibility to the initiative.
- Be aware of the power imbalance that can exist between your larger organization and smaller community agencies and the effects
this can have on the willingness of smaller agencies to participate in partnerships.
- Recognize that partners must trust each other to work together and that it takes time to build trust.
- Work with your partners to create a written work plan and to map out how you will evaluate the work throughout the initiative.