For addiction psychiatry core competencies, the psychiatry specialist (by the end of PGY V) must be able to:
1. Develop effective learning and teaching strategies in Addiction Psychiatry
This includes learning skills in evidence-based medicine, bioethics, ethics, acquisition of knowledge; the development of self-assessment skills / reflective practice for ongoing self-development of knowledge, skills and attitudes; the learning and performing of effective teaching strategies to teach more junior house staff and other interprofessional learner groups.
2. The opportunity for participation in research projects under the supervision of appropriate supervisors.
These skills will be taught in the following manner:
1. Through the development of self-learning techniques and reflective skills.
2. Provision of appropriate teaching courses.
3. The teaching of determinants of health in rotations.
4. Opportunities to be involved in research or teaching.
These skills will be evaluated through:
1. Regular feedback from supervisors.
2. Providing opportunities for research and teaching
3. Being introduced to reflective practice / documentation of clinical, research, teaching and other scholarly work.