For addiction psychiatry core competencies, the psychiatry specialist (by the end of PGY V) must be able to:
1. Know when to consult other caregivers appropriately (Addiction and Concurrent Disorder).
Essential to treatment as concurrent disorder patients often need many aspects of their life to be dealt with simultaneously.
2. Work with the interdisciplinary team to develop appropriate diagnostic and therapeutic strategies for patient care.
Patients will often need a case management or other mechanism to help keep track of the treatment received. This still requires input from the multiple caregivers involved with the patient.
These skills will be taught and evaluated in the following manner:
- Observation of daily practice patterns of attending staff
- Attendance at interdisciplinary rounds.
- Feedback through in-training evaluations.