Edited by Pearl Isaac, Anne Kalvick, John Brands and Eva Janecek
This newly revised edition is an important reference for practising pharmacists who dispense methadone. Methadone maintenance treatment (MMT) is the most effective pharmacological treatment for opioid dependence. Pharmacy staff have more contact with methadone patients than anyone else on the treatment team. The pharmacist at the front line of treatment can have a real and positive impact on patients’ outcomes, offering encouragement, support and motivation as patients progress through treatment. This comprehensive, practical manual includes in-depth information on:
- opioid and other substance dependence
- methadone and MMT
- dispensing and self-administration
- methadone dosing issues minimizing diversion
- continuity of care when patients are hospitalized or incarcerated
- adverse effects, toxicity, overdose and withdrawal
- drug interactions involving methadone (an expanded section)
- maintenance under special circumstances, such as pregnancy, breastfeeding, hepatic and renal impairment, and HIV/AIDS.
The manual also includes 40 pages of appendices comprising information for pharmacists to share with patients. They include information on MMT, sample MMT agreements, tips for travelling, and overdose information.
Methadone Maintenance: A Pharmacist’s Guide to Treatment is consistent with the 2001 College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario Methadone Maintenance Guidelines.
- ISBN 978-0-88868-429-5 • 182 pages • spiral-bound
- $69.95 • published 2004 • product code PZ162