Based on the book, Motivational Interviewing: Helping People Change (Third edition, 2013), this simulation-based and interactive online course is designed for health care practitioners who have direct client care responsibilities. This course offers 44 hours of training on how to use core motivational interviewing skills in conversations about change across a range of health-related issues.
By the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- Define and critique the clinical method of motivational interviewing, indicating its purpose, how it is used and how it works
- Use the spirit of motivational interviewing as a model for communicating care to clients
- Establish therapeutic relationships with clients that are characterized by partnership, acceptance, compassion and evocation
- Use OARS skills (open questions, affirmations, reflective statements, and summaries) to identify and explore issues to be addressed in a patient encounter, including the patient's context and preferences
- Provide information and advice in a style consistent with motivational interviewing
This course offers simulation-based training with deliberate practice strategies. Participants have an unique opportunity to be paired with a motivational interviewing coach and practice motivational interviewing skills with simulated clients. Authentic, real-life tasks from the participant's practice setting form the basis of the learning experience.
This course has a two-phase structure
- Phase 1 involves three interactive, self-directed learning modules on the foundation skills of motivational interviewing. It lasts three weeks.
- Phase 2 involves components that integrate practice-based performance improvement initiatives with focused clinical practice.
- Four synthesis and application modules (which are live, one-hour workshops/seminars) cover key practice issues in applying and adapting motivational interviewing to specific practice settings.
- Simulation and interactive learning modules pair each participant with a motivational interviewing coach and a simulated client, with whom the participant meets "in treatment" over a two-week period. Individualized coaching and feedback on practice is provided in real-time.
- A virtual community of practice (CoP) is integrated throughout the course, and provides post-course learning support.