This course explores the efficacy and effectiveness of MI, how it is used and how it works in improving the care of patients and the quality of service in diverse practice settings.
This course is designed with three parts, each provides opportunities to builds on the competences presented in the previous one but each can be taken as a stand-alone component.
successful completion of this introduction level course participants will be able to,
- define and critique the clinical method of
MI, indicating its purpose, how it is used and how it works.
- summarize and discuss the efficacy and
effectiveness of MI in their practice setting.
- apply knowledge of the engaging and
focusing processes to identify and explore issues to be addressed in a
patient encounter, including the patient’s context and preferences.
- elicit, reinforce and respond to a client’s
change talk and commitment language in a style consistent with MI in patient
- respond to sustain talk and discord in a
style consistent with MI in patient
- implement the four-process model of MI in
their practice setting based on treatment integrity measures
described by MI developers William Miller and Stephen Rollnick.
- analyze practice experience, identify practice gaps and
implement changes to ensure performance improvement in the treatment integrity
measures of MI.
The course is appropriate for health care providers with direct client care responsibilities, who provide conversation/consultation about behavioral changes across a range of health-related issues.
The course is led by CAMH staff members from diverse disciplines in health care, and who are members of the Motivational Interviewing Network of Trainers (MINT), an international collective of trainers in MI.
- Purchase of the textbook is optional: Miller, W.R. & Rollnick, S. (2013). Motivational Interviewing: Helping People Change (Third Ed.). New York: Guilford Press.
- Computer headset with microphone
- Any of the following:
- Internet Explorer version 9 or above (this browser works in Windows version 7, Vista or Server 2008).
- Mozilla Firefox version 10 or above (use this browser if you have Windows XP).
- Safari 5.1.
Information will be provided
For more informaiton on the course please complete the pre-registration form:
Motivational Interviewing Pre-registration form
Information on continuing education credits will be provided.
This course also qualifies as an elective for the.
- Concurrent Disorders Certificate Program and
- Opioid Dependence Treatment Certificate Program
- Tel: 416-535-8501 Ext. 36732