This course is held under the auspices of the Office of Continuing Education and Professional Development, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto and Centre for Addiction and Mental Health in Toronto, Ontario.
This eight-week course provides the basic knowledge and skills needed to anticipate and respond effectively to clients with substance use problems and may also experience mental illness. In addition to incorporating to incorporating key concepts of concurrent disorders into the course, we have added practical information on helping clients to quit smoking.
At the end of this course, you will be able to:
- identify the roles and responsibilities of withdrawal management workers
- describe assessment tolls for evaluating clients' physicial, mental health and substance use recovery needs: assess for substance use, physicial and mental health problms; admit or refer clients for immediate medical, psychiatric or other therapeutic help; monitor clients' progrress
- recognize withdrawal symptoms and identify pharmacological interventions
- identify effective management techniques for the safety and well-being of clients
- implement simple motivational strategies
- describe treatment planning and community supports available for clients with substance use and mental health problems
- describe ethical and legal issues that may arise in the withdrawal management setting
The course is intended for a broad spectrum of withdrawal management workers, including nurses, social workers, front-line staff and volunteers.
$350 Registration Fee
Each module is facilitated by rotating faculty from various Withdrawal Management Services in Ontario.
Requirements / Prerequisites
This course can be taken alone; however, it qualifies as an elective for the Concurrent Disorders Certificate Program.
Electives must be taken within a four-year period after completing the core course; any courses taken prior to the core program will not count toward the certificate. Participants will need to either re-take those courses or select electives that they have not previously taken.
Affliation / Partnerships
Univeristy of Toronto
Course Start Date
Refunds for advance (prior to start date) cancellation will be subject to an administrative fee of $100.00.
Withdrawals from a course are accepted within one week from the course's start date and is subject to an administrative fee of $100.00
Cancellation notice must be communicated in writing by email.