This course is held under the auspices of the Office of Continuing Education and Professional Development, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto and Centre for Addiction and Mental Health in Toronto, Ontario.
This eight-week course provides the basic knowledge and skills needed to anticipate and respond effectively to clients with substance use problems who may also be experiencing mental illness.
After successfully completing this course, you will be able to:
- integrate clients with substance use and mental health problems into withdrawal management services
- assess clients for substance use and for physical and mental health problems
- recommend admission or referral of clients for immediate medical, psychiatric or other therapeutic help
- monitor clients' progress
- deal with crises that can affect the safety and well-being of clients and staff
- identify clients' readiness for change, and treatment planning and community support needs
- recognize the effects and withdrawal symptoms of various drugs
- recognize interactions between psychiatric medications and other psychoactive drugs
- discuss ethical and legal issues that may arise in a withdrawal management setting.
The course is intended for a broad spectrum of withdrawal management workers, including nurses, social workers, front-line staff and volunteers.
$375 Registration Fee
$187.50 CAMH Staff Fee
Each module is facilitated by rotating faculty from various Withdrawal Management Services in Ontario.
Requirements / Prerequisites
This course can be taken alone; however, it qualifies as an elective for the Concurrent Disorders Certificate Program.
Electives must be taken within a four-year period after completing the core course; any courses taken prior to the core program will not count toward the certificate. Participants will need to either re-take those courses or select electives that they have not previously taken.
Affliation / Partnerships
Univeristy of Toronto
Course Start Date
Withdrawals from a course are accepted within one week from the course's start date and is subject to an administrative fee of $100.00
Cancellation notice must be communicated in writing by email.